Amendments to the Convention for the regulation of the meshes of fishing nets and the size limits of fish of 5 April 1946, Hamburg, 1962
Done at Hamburg 11 May 1962
Entered into force 11 May 1962
Depositary: United Kingdom
Primary source citation: United Nations Treaty Series
CONVENTION FOR THE REGULATION
OF THE MESHES OF FISHING NETS AND THE SIZE LIMITS
OF FISH. SIGNED AT LONDON, ON 5 APRIL 1946
Amendments to the above-mentioned Convention. Adopted at the tenth meeting of the Permanent Commission held at Hamburg from 8 to 11 May 1962
Official texts : English and French,
Registered by the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland on 14 March 1963.
(1) The following proviso was added to Article 6 of the Convention :
“and (c) provided that in the period from 1st June, 1963 in 1st June, 1966 no nets having in the cod-end meshes of dimensions between 50 mm. (irrespective of material used) and the minimum sizes specified in paragraph 1 of Annex I shall be carried or used by vessels in the waters of that part of the Convention area defined in that paragraph, except—
(i) those waters to the south and west of the following lines : a line drawn due west from the Mull of Galloway along 54°38´ north latitude, and a line drawn from France to England along 2° west longitude ;
(ii) those waters east of a line drawn from Hanstholm to Lindesnes.”
(2) The provisions of paragraph 2 of Article 7 of the Convention were extended to 1st June, 1963.
(3) Annex I of the Convention was amended by the substitution in lines 6 and 7 of paragraph (1) of “1st day of June 1964” for “4th day of April 1963”.
(4) Annex II of the Convention was amended by the substitution of “23” for “20” opposite “Whitings (Gadus merlangus)”, and the following proviso was added :
“provided that in any waters in which at any time a minimum size of mesh of nets of 120 mm is specified the sizes below which cod and haddock may not be retained on board or landed shall be 34 cm and 31 cm respectively.”
(5) Annex III of the Convention was prefaced by the words : “Until 1st June 1966” and the following sentence was added:
“For the purpose of this Annex whiting between 20 cm and 23 cm in length shall not be treated as undersized.”
(6) Annex IV of the Convention was amended by the substitution of “three” for “two” and “1964” for “1963”.