Protocol of Termination of the Convention on the Conservation of the Living Resources of the Southeast Atlantic of 23 October 1969, Madrid, 1990
Done at Madrid 19 July 1990
Entered into force (not in force)
Depositary: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Italy
Primary source citation: Copy of text provided by the Food and Agriculture Organization
1. The International Commission for the Southeast Atlantic Fisheries at its Mid-term Extraordinary Meeting held in Madrid in May, 1990, decided to call a Conference of Plenipotentiaries to adopt a Protocol of Termination for the Convention on the Conservation of the Living Resources of the Southeast Atlantic.
2. The Conference of Plenipotentiaries met at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on 19th July 1990.
3. The Governments of sixteen Contracting Parties to the Convention were represented: Republic of Angola, Bulgaria, Cuba, France, German Democratic Republic, Federal Republic of Germany, Israël, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Republic of South Africa, Spain and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics.
4. The Conference elected Mr. Luis de Andrés (First Vice-Chairman of the Commission) as President.
5. The Conference had before it a draft Protocol of Termination prepared by the International commission for the Southeast Atlantic Fisheries.
6. On the basis of its deliberations, the Conference adopted the Protocol which is reproduced in the Annex hereto.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the following representatives signed this Final Act:
For the REPUBLIC Kamu de Almeida [signature]
For BULGARIA Boyka Ivanova Nicheva [signature]
For CUBA Manuel Basabe del Val [signature]
For FRANCE Henri Benoit de Coignac [signature]
For the GERMAN
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC Karl Heinz Ehlerf [signature]
For the FEDERAL
REPUBLIC OF GERMANY Georg Trefftz [signature]
For ISRAEL Yehuda Atsmony [signature]
For ITALY Armando Sanguini [signature]
For JAPAN Hirotsugu Amamiya [signature]
For the REPUBLIC
OF KOREA Myung Kwan Chang [signature]
For POLAND Wojciech Woicki [signature]
For PORTUGAL João de Valera [signature]
For RUMANIA Pavel Moldoveanu [signature]
For the REPUBLIC
OF SOUTH AFRICA François Van der Merwe [signature]
For SPAIN Camilo Villarino [signature]
For the UNION OF SOVIET Konstantine Mozel [signature]
DONE AT Madrid this nineteenth day of July one thousand nine hundred and ninety, in a single copy in the English, French and Spanish languages, each text being equally authentic. The original texts shall be deposited in the archives of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
PROTOCOL OF TERMINATION
The Contracting Parties to the Convention on the Conservation of the Living Resources of the Southeast Atlantic concluded in Rome on 23rd October 1969, which entered into force on 24th October 1971;
Recognizing that important events have taken place which influence the objectives of the Convention;
Considering that these events have reduced the practical effect of the Convention to a degree which is incompatible with the pursual of its activities;
Bearing in mind the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties concluded at Vienna on 23rd May 1969 and, in particular, Article 54 of that Convention entitled “Termination of or withdrawal from a treaty under its provisions or by consent of the parties” which provides that:
“ The termination of a treaty or the withdrawal of a party may take place:
(a) In conformity with the provisions of the treaty; or
(b) At any time by consent of all the parties after consultation with the other contracting States. ”
Have agreed as follows:
The Convention shall terminate when all Contracting Parties have deposited an instrument of acceptance with the Director General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
Instruments of acceptance of this Protocol shall be deposited with the Director-General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, who shall inform the Governments of the Contracting Parties of the deposit thereof and the entry into force of this Protocol.
This Protocol shall be open for signature by the Government of any State represented at the Conference which adopted the Protocol, or by the Government of any other State which is a member of the International Commission for the Southeast Atlantic Fisheries, until the thirtieth of November one thousand nine hundred and ninety.
DONE AT Madrid, this nineteenth day of July one thousand nine hundred and ninety, in a single copy in the English, French and Spanish languages, each version being equally authoritative.