THE MARINE MAMMAL COMMISSION COMPENDIUM
MULTILATERAL / UNITED NATIONS ORGANIZATIONS
Volume(s) 1-3; pages 1135-1135
Amendments to the Constitution of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, 1961
Done at Rome 24 November 1961
Entered into force 24 November 1961
Primary source citation: 13 UST 2616, TIAS 5229
AMENDMENTS TO BASIC TEXTS OF THE ORGANIZATION, VOLUME I (Issued February 1962) As the result of the amendments to the Constitution General Rules and Financial Regulations of the Organization and to the Rules of Procedure for the Council adopted by the Eleventh Session of the Conference and the Thirty-Seventh Session of the Council, the texts given below are to be substituted for the texts appearing in the 1960 Edition of Volume I of the Basic Texts of the Organization:
2. Each Member Nation and Associate Member may appoint alternates, associates and advisers to its delegate . . .
1. A Council of the Organization consisting of twenty-seven Member Nations shall be elected by the Conference . . . .
1. There shall be a Director-General of the Organization who shall be appointed by the Conference for a term of four years.
2. Upon expiry of the term of four years the Director-General may be reappointed for a term of two years. Upon expiry of this term of two years, the Director-General may be reappointed for a further term of two years, after which he shall not be eligible for re-appointment.
3. Appointments and re-appointments under this Article shall be made by such procedures and on such other terms as the Conference may determine.
4. Should the office of Director-General become vacant during any one of the above-mentioned terms of office, the Conference may appoint a successor to serve for the then unexpired portion of that term of office. Such successor may again be appointed or re-appointed in accordance with the provisions of paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 of this Article, provided that the total of his terms of office does not exceed eight years.
(Renumber the two last paragraphs of the present text ‘5’ and ‘6’)