Agreements by Date
Agreements by Subject
Agreements by Lineage
Problem or suggestion?
Other Treaty Lists
List of Text Files
Download IEA Dataset (Excel)
Project Related Publications
By the Project Director
- Mitchell, Ronald B. 2007. "Compliance Theory: Compliance, Effectiveness, and
Behavior Change in International Environmental Law" In Oxford Handbook of International Environmental Law. Editors: Jutta Brunee, Daniel
Bodansky, and Ellen Hey. Oxford University Press, 893-921.
- Mitchell, Ronald B. 2006. " Problem Structure, Institutional Design, and the Relative Effectiveness
of International Environmental Agreements ." Global Environmental Politics , 6:3 (August), 72-89.
- Clark, William C., Ronald B. Mitchell, and David W. Cash. 2006. "Evaluating the
Influence of Global Environmental Assessments" In Global Environmental Assessments: Information and Influence. Editors: Ronald B. Mitchell,
William C. Clark, David W. Cash, and Nancy M. Dickson. MIT Press, 1-28.
- Mitchell, Ronald B., William C. Clark, and David W. Cash. 2006. "Information and
Influence" In Global Environmental Assessments: Information and Influence. Editors: Ronald B. Mitchell, William C. Clark, David W. Cash,
and Nancy M. Dickson. MIT Press, 307-338.
- Mitchell, Ronald B. 2005. " "Flexibility, Compliance and Norm Development in
the Climate Regime" In Implementing the Climate Regime: International Compliance. Editors: Olav Schram Stokke, Jon Hovi, and Geir Ulfstein.
Earthscan Press, 65-83.
- Ronald B. Mitchell. 2003. "International Environmental Agreements: A Survey of Their
Features, Formation, and Effects." Annual Review of Environment and Resources 28, 429-461.
This article provides an initial description and analysis of the earliest version of the dataset.
Mention of the Database in News Reports and Popular Press
- Kate Galbraith. 2014.
Dead: How America abandoned its role as leader of the fight to save the planet -- and killed a movement.
September 25, 2014.
Uses of the Database in Reports by International Organizations
- United Nations Environment Programme. 2010. UNEP Year Book
2010: New Science and Developments in Our Changing Environment Release Date: 23rd February 2010, page 4.
- OECD. 2010. Harnessing Freedom of Investment for Green Growth
- European Environment Agency. 2010. Environmental
agreements since 1900
- United Nations Environment Programme. 2008. International Environmental Governance and
United Nations Reform (Ministerial Background Document)
By Other Project Participants
- Rothman, Steven B. 2007. " Understanding Data Quality through Reliability: A
Comparison of Data Reliability Assessment from Three Treaty Datasets." International Studies Review 9(3): 437-456.
- Hoffmann, Leif. 2007. "Data Collection Online: Techniques and Traps When
Searching for (Treaty-Related) Data on the WWW version of the article." International Studies Perspectives, 8(2):iv-vi.
- Chirchi, Dunya. 2005. "The Combined Success of the International Tropical Timber
By Scholars not Affiliated with the Project using the Database
- Ovodenko, Alexandar. 2015. "Regional Water Cooperation
Creating Incentives for Integrated Management". Journal of Conflict Resolution 59.
- Balsiger, Jörg and Miriam Prys. 2014. "Regional agreements in international environmental politics." International Environmental Agreements 14:XXXX
- Kim, Rakhyun E. and Brendan Mackey. 2014. "International environmental law as a complex adaptive system." International Environmental Agreements 14:5-24 DOI 10.1007/s10784-013-9225-2
- Green, Jessica F. 2013. Rethinking Private Authority. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
- Egger, Peter, Christoph Jessberger, and Mario Larch. 2013. "Impacts of Trade and the Environment on Clustered Multilateral Environmental Agreements." The World Economy 18:331-348 DOI 10.1111/twec.12054
- Kim, Rakhyun. 2013. "Unravelling the Maze of Multilateral Environmental Agreements: A Macroscopic Analysis of International Environmental Law and Governance for the Anthropocene." Ph.D. dissertation. Australia National University.
- Kim, Rakhyun. 2013. "The emergent network structure of the multilateral environmental agreement system." Global Environmental Change 23: 980-991.
- Balsiger, Jorg, Miriam Prys, and Niko Steinhoff. 2012. "Trade and investment liberalization as determinants of multilateral environmental agreement membership." The Nature and Role of Regional Agreements in International Environmental Politics: Mapping Agreements, Outlining Future Research. GIGA Working Paper No 208. Hamburg: German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Egger, Peter, Christoph Jessberger, and Mario Larch. 2011. "Trade and investment liberalization as determinants of multilateral environmental agreement membership." International Tax and Public Finance 18:605.633 DOI 10.1007/s10797-011-9169-9
- Mark Axelrod. 2011. "Savings Clauses and the Chilling Effect: Regime Interplay as Constraints on International Governance/Law." In Managing Institutional Complexity: Regime Interplay and Global Environmental Change, Sebastian Oberthur and Olav Schram Stokke, eds. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. Axelrod is a Professor at Michigan State University
- Nils Simon. 2011. International Environmental Governance for the 21st Century Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik Research Paper.
- Anna Kalbhenn. 2011. Liberal peace and shared resources: A fair-weather phenomenon? Journal of Peace Research November 2011 vol. 48 no. 6 715-735 doi: 10.1177/0022343311420459
- Christoph Jessberger. 2010. Environmental Economics and Multilateral Environmental Agreements (Inaugural-Dissertation at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universat Munchen)
- Detlef Jahn. 2009. International and Domestic Aspects of the Institutionalization of Environmental Policies in Industrial Countries" Paper prepared for the 50thth Annual Convention of the International Studies Association, New York, USA, February 15-18, 2009 Jahn is a Professor at the University of Greifswald, Germany
- Green, Jessica F. 2008. " Private authority in global environmental politics: Delegation to non-state actors in multilateral environmental treaties." Paper presented at the American Political Science Association, Boston, 28-31 August 2008. [Green is a Professor at Case Western Reserve University.]
- Jo, Hyeran. 2007. "The Design of Monitoring Institutions in Environmental Agreements: The Case of Fisheries Agreements." Paper presented at the International Studies Association, Chicago, 28 February 2007. [Jo is a Professor of Political Science at Texas A&M University]
- Corbetta, Renato and Andrew Long. 2007. "Major Powers and Membership in International Environmental Agreements" Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association, Chicago, 3-5 April 2008. [Corbetta is an Assistant Professor of Government at The University of Alabama at Birmingham; Long is an Assistant Professor of Political Science at Kansas State University]